English Language Program
As part of the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the Embassy of the United States of America in the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Regional English Language Officer (RELO) cooperates with the U.S. Embassy PAS in Kuwait, the Sultanate of Oman, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen . The English Language Office supports the U.S. Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, which aims to increase communication skills and mutual understanding between the people of the United States of America and the people of other countries throughout the world.
To achieve these goals, the English Language Office supports U.S. Embassy-sponsored English language programming that strengthens teachers' instructional and language skills, develops critical thinking capabilities, and conveys information about the United States. These programs include, but are not limited to the following:
- the English Access Microscholarship Program,
- the English Language Fellow Program,
- the English Language Specialist/Speaker Program,
- the E-Teacher Scholarship Program,
- the English Language Fellow Foreign Educator Program,
- educational materials, such as the English Teaching FORUM journal.
In addition, the English Language Office often provides advice for and engages in cooperation with:
- the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA),
- the Study of the U.S. Summer Institute for Secondary Educators Program,
- the International Visitor and Leadership Program and Voluntary Visitor Program,
- alumni of exchange programs,
- local and regional English Teacher Associations, and others who arrange training that is focused on English Language Teaching.
Furthermore, the English Language Office cultivates professional relations with education officials, academic institutions, government agencies, and NGOs involved with policy development, English language programs, and teacher training.